The Small Print
We are the data controller which means we decide how your data is used and protected. We take your privacy and our responsibility to protect your information seriously. Read our privacy notice to understand.
WHO WE ARE
Steve Edwardes is an author living in the United Kingdom.
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
Information you provide:
The information you provide to us might include: your name, postal address, email address, phone number, gender and date of birth. If you’re creating an account you will provide a password and if you are ordering books you will provide your payment details. If you are submitting a manuscript or job application you will provide additional information about your academic and work history, references and any other information you choose to supply. Your information includes anything which identifies you so if you contribute to a blog or provide other user generated content to us it may include personal information.
If you provide us with more sensitive information this is known as Special Category (“Sensitive”) information and may include details about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious, philosophical or similar beliefs, trade union membership, genetics, biometrics, health, sexual life, sexual orientation or about criminal offences or proceedings. This type of information will be treated differently and we will explain why we are collecting it and it will only be used with your explicit consent.
We collect your information when you:
· Interact or correspond with us in letters, by phone, SMS, email or via our website;
· attend events we hold or interact with us in person;
· create an account on our website;
· subscribe to our mailing lists;
· complete one of our surveys;
· use our mobile device or website applications (apps);
· submit manuscripts to us by post, email or via our website;
· enter into a contract with us;
· submit an application to a job vacancy;
· order books or other products from our website;
· enter a competition or prize draw;
· provide us with biographical information about you (e.g. by completing an author questionnaire)
Information about how you use our website and apps:
We will also collect certain information about how you use our website and apps and the devices that you use to access them. This includes your IP address, geographical location, device information (such as your hardware model, mobile network information, unique device identifiers), browser type, referral source, length of visit to the website, number of page views, the search queries you make on the website and similar information. This information is collected by Google Analytics on our behalf and by some of our apps using cookies. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visithttp://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Our website may include links to third party websites, plug-ins and applications. By clicking on those links or enabling these connections you may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these websites and are not responsible for their privacy notices. Please ensure that you read the privacy notices on any such external websites.
Information we receive from third parties:
In certain circumstances, we will receive information about you from third parties. For example,
· if you choose to register for a website user account you may choose to link this account to your social media account (such as Twitter or Facebook). By providing your social media account details you are authorising that third-party provider to share with us certain information about you;
· we use third party providers to verify information provided by you in connection with any manuscript you submit to us for publication. For example, we will use third-party databases or websites to confirm your publication history;
· we will receive information about you from third parties if they are referring you to us for publication. For example, if you are the co-author of a manuscript, your co-author will be required to provide us with information about you.
· if you give permission for us to contact you to a bookseller or other third party running a competition or other event involving one of our books
HOW WE USE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
We use your information lawfully. We do not sell your information to third parties. We do not share your information. We may use your information for the purposes listed below on the basis of our legitimate interests:to contact you about products you bought from us;
· to contact you about submissions you made or content you provided to us;
· to respond to your queries and correspondence;
· to administer your account with us;
· to deal with enquiries or complaints about the website as necessary to provide customer support in providing the correct products and services to our website users;
· to operate a safe and lawful business or where we have a legal obligation;
· to enable us to comply with our policies and procedures and enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our employees;
· to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising;
· to deliver relevant advertising and make relevant recommendations and suggestions to you about our products and services;
· to analyse your use of our websites and apps and your responses to our communications;
· to personalise, enhance, modify or otherwise improve the services and/or communications that we provide to you;
· To detect and prevent fraud and unauthorised access or illegal activity;
· To improve security and optimisation of our network sites and services including trouble shooting, testing and software development and support;
WHO CAN SEE YOUR INFORMATION
Your information may be processed by our staff or by the staff of third parties we work with to deliver our business. Processing can mean any activity that involves the use of information about someone that can identify them. All uses, for example, obtaining, recording, storing, disclosing, organising, retrieving, deleting and destroying are types of data processing. We take measures to ensure that third parties processing your information on our behalf are acting lawfully in accordance with our instructions and are subject to appropriate confidentiality requirements. We also have adequate technical and organisational safeguards in place in our company and with third party processors to protect your information. Third party processors of your information include:
· our website hosts and operators, IT support providers, database operators, site analytics providers and software developers;
· our marketing or publicity services providers;
· our editorial and production service providers, peer-reviewers, third-party manuscript readers
· our financial services and payment service provider;
· our warehousing and delivery service providers;
· our auditors, technical consultants and legal advisors;
· our fraud detection services;
HOW WE LOOK AFTER YOUR INFORMATION
We look for opportunities to minimise the amount of personal information we hold about you. Where appropriate we anonymise and pseudonymise your information. We use appropriate technological and operational security measures to protect your information against any unauthorised access or unlawful use, such as:
· ensuring the physical security of our offices, warehouses or other sites;
· ensuring the physical and digital security of our equipment and devices by using appropriate password protection and encryption;
· maintaining a data protection policy for, and delivering data protection training to, our employees;
· limiting access to your personal information to those in our company who need to use it in the course of their work.
HOW LONG WE KEEP IT FOR
We will retain your information for as long as is necessary to provide you with the services that you have requested from us or for as long as we reasonably require to retain the information for our legitimate interests, such as for the purposes of exercising our legal rights or where we are permitted to do so for purposes of academic, literary expression and research purposes. We operate a data retention policy and look to find ways to reduce the amount of information we hold about you and the length of time that we need to keep it. For example,
· we archive our email and paper correspondence regularly and destroy unnecessary information;
· We operate a best practice email retention policy requiring password protected folders and departmental shared drives to provide restricted access to information;
· Deleted emails are auto-deleted periodically;
· We conduct regular access reviews to keep access profiles and policies up to date;
· We conduct periodic review and purge cycles of documents in accordance with our document retention policy;
· we retain information relating to orders, refunds and customer queries for approximately 7 years;
· we retain information relating to commercial contracts for approximately 7 years after expiration or termination whichever is the sooner;
· we maintain a suppression list of email addresses of individuals who no longer wish to be contacted by us. So that we can comply with their wishes we must store this information permanently;
· we delete information collected through marketing channels 2 years after our last interaction with you;
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
Your Right to Object
You have the right to object to our using your information for direct marketing and on the basis of our legitimate interests.
Your Right to Withdraw Consent
You have the right to withdraw your consent for our use of your information in reliance of your consent.
Your Other Rights and Choices
You also have other choices and rights in respect of the information that we hold about you, including:
· the right to request access to the information that we hold about you to check that we are acting lawfully;
· the right to receive a copy of any information we hold about you in a structured, commonly-used, machine readable format or in another format of your choice;
· the right to request that we transfer your information to another service provider in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format;
· the right to ask us to correct information we hold about you if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
· the right to ask us, in certain circumstances, to delete information we hold about you;
· the right to ask us, in certain circumstances, to restrict processing of your information.
You may exercise your rights and choices by contacting us.
You can also prevent processing for marketing activities by checking certain boxes on forms that we use to collect your data to tell us that you don’t want to be involved in marketing.
Your Right to Complain
Please contact us if you have any questions or are unhappy about the way your information is used. We hope we will be able to resolve any problems or issues you may.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint about us and our use of your information to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk/) or the relevant authority in your country of work or residence.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We may make changes to this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will post any changes to our site.
This Privacy Notice was updated on June 4th 2020.
The cookies we use are:
Essential cookies: these are required for us to operate the website. They include cookies that permit you to store items in an online shopping cart; allow you to log into secure parts of our site or make use of e-payment services.
Functionality cookies: these allow us to recognise you when you return to the website after your first visit. It helps us to personalise content, to greet you by name and remember your preferences (such as language or country). They are used for statistical purposes.
Analytical/performance cookies: They allow us to recognise you and to count the number of visitors to our website and to see how visitors move around our website; It improves the performance of our website by ensuring that visitors can find what they are searching for easily and to speed up your searches.
Our website uses third party technologies to help us gather aggregate information about the user experience. The Site uses analytics tools (like Google Analytics). Because of this, the web browsers used by our visitors automatically send certain information to Google. This includes, for example, the web address of the page that you’re visiting and your IP address. Google may also set cookies on your browser or read cookies that are already there. We do not share any of this information with any other third parties.
The information we collect allows us to better tailor our web experience to the interests of our visitors. This information may be used in aggregate form by Steve Edwardes to assess general user interest in our Site and the content on it. No personally identifying information is included in this type of reporting.
Targeted advertisements cookies: These cookies record your visit to the website, links you have followed and pages you have visited. We will use this information to target information on our website and advertisements displayed on the website more relevant to your interests. We may share this information with third parties and other social media such as Facebook, Instagram for this purpose. Cookie profiling, also called web profiling, is the use of persistent or permanent cookies to track a user’s overall activity online.
When used in conjunction with our advertising services, such as those using the DoubleClick cookie, Google Analytics information is linked, by the Google Analytics customer or by Google, using Google technology, with information about visits to multiple sites.
You can also selectively opt-out of tracking.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
To control usage of, or to reset your Advertising Identifier on Apple devices, visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205223
To control usage of, or to reset your Advertising ID on Android devices, visit https://support.google.com/ accounts/answer/3118621
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been placed, how to manage and delete them, and how to opt-out of being tracked by social networks and third-party advertisers, visit these services:
· www.aboutads.info/choices (as recommended by the Digital Advertising Alliance)
· www.youronlinechoices.eu (as recommended by the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance)
If you do not agree with the described use of the cookies on this website or app and do not wish to use the opt-out methods mentioned above, we respectfully ask that you do not use this website or app.
Our website may include links to third party websites, plug-ins and applications. By clicking on those links or enabling these connections you may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these websites and are not responsible for their privacy policies. Please ensure that you read the privacy policies on any such external websites.
Credit / Debit Cards